Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Dinner for NINE!

Hey, all! Writing to you on a Tuesday morning at 6:45 am, after dropping Kerry off at the airport. With all of the "going" that we've been doing for the past week or so, Patrick and I are looking forward to some down time, so this will likely be my last post for a few days before we go to Disneyland on Sunday! Expect delays there, too. But first, let us recount yesterday, our last full day with Kerry here.

Unfortunately, yesterday morning we learned that the BART station did, in fact, go on strike. No, they weren't just bluffing. So when Jackie woke up for school, the news was, needless to say, disappointing to her. She's a very determined student, something I lacked to be once I entered college, so I envy her in many ways, especially in that way. Instead, we decided to go to the mall while Patrick stayed at home and got some work done (in an empty house, no less, which has been unheard of lately). We walked around the mall, which was gorgeous. Only Kerry bought anything useful (gifts for the family), and we all stopped at Starbucks and got drinks and snacks before we went home for dinner.

My mocha cupcake was beyond delicious!

An entire salon for blowouts only! How different!

This is one fancy bathroom waiting room. Neiman Marcus knows what's up!

While we were at the mall, Jackie's boyfriend, Dan, called, and wanted her to meet him at the thrift store, which I was I was definitely down for. We all got in the car and met Dan at the local Savers and shopped around for a bit before heading home, where Kerry and I hung out with Patrick while Jackie and Dan went out for a bit. Dan's been out of town all week, so obviously they were looking forward to spending some quality time together.

While they were out, Patrick started to prep dinner for all of us, and all I can say is wow, what a meal. Patrick is used to only cooking for two people, so cooking for five got him all sorts of excited. We ended up with so much food! Marinated BBQ steak, leftover ribs and chicken from BBQ the other day, redskin garlic mashed potatoes, asparagus, beets, peaches, baked beans, hominy, and watermelon. Everything was delicious and I was excited for a home cooked meal after so many times going out to dinner in the past few weeks (as goodbye dinners, lunches, and obviously dinner at diners while on the road). Patrick's overzealous cooking packed our fridge full of leftovers. He really cooked for an entire family gathering (and I did ask whether or not we were having company or inviting the neighbors)!

BOO! Bad quality pictures!

After dinner Patrick and I took a really nice walk around the neighborhood. Since we didn't have to actually get anywhere, it was really nice to just walk at a leisurely pace and enjoy one another's company. We all ended our day pretty early and headed to bed since Patrick, Kerry, and I all needed to be up at 5 to get Kerry to the airport.

I will say, though, that Kerry and I woke with a start around 3am. It sounded like a sudden thundering downpour outside, but when I poked my head out the window, everything was dry, which made it even more strange. When I mentioned it to Patrick in the morning, he was almost relieved that someone else had heard it, too. Apparently it's a busted sprinkler outside that goes off at 3:07am every few days and maintenance refuses to believe him. So it's up to us to get our butts out of bed the next time it goes off so we can go outside and record it so that maybe someone will do something about the noise! You can't even hear it with the windows shut, but with the heat we've been having here lately, they stay open throughout the night to cool things down.

This morning, we started in kind of a rush because we woke up late. As much as Kerry and I were probably getting on each other's nerves after such a long trip, I was really sad to see her go. My last piece of Michigan left on a plane to Dallas. I'm missing home, as anyone would, but I'm pleased with our lives so far, here. Patrick's birthday is on Sunday, so after his Rocky show this Saturday, we are heading immediately to Anaheim for a trip to Disneyland, which I'm excited for... Except it's supposed to be sweltering hot, I have a bum foot, it's a 6 hour drive, and as of right now, I'm just downright tired. But it will be fun!

Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.